Tuesday 6 December 2011

Why Should You Create An Online Portfolio?!

Working Online: Retrieved December 1, 2011 from Google Images:
http://www.findingdulcinea.com/features/way-to-work/Online-Social-Networking.html. 
Copyright 2011 by Rachel Balik
An online portfolio is a very effective and fun process. It is very beneficial both socially and professionally. This is a way to present your skills, talent, and work ability. I once heard that a portfolio is the “showcase of your work.” I strongly stand by this saying because this statement is truly correct. An online portfolio allows you to display your writing and work online so anyone can access it and read about you and what you have to say. An online portfolio can potentially be a huge aspect in getting an interview for a specific job or organization. When employers are looking to hire, they tend to search your name and see what you have created online or look at pictures in order to get a better sense of who you are as a person. It is very important to make your portfolio appropriate and professional. If you would like to learn more about how to create a successful online portfolio click on this link, it is very informative and narrows down the main strategies. 

Creating an online portfolio was a great experience and I learned a lot about myself as a journalist. At the beginning of this process I was not to fond of blogging and writing about myself and other objectives we learned about in class throughout the semester. However as I kept writing, I could not stop. Writing online almost became addictive and I started to really enjoy doing it. I learned that I have a very strong opinion and have become very passionate about what I had learned in my ALES204 class persuading me to write more and more about my thoughts on certain subjects pertaining to social networking. I believe that I have become a stronger writer on the works of creating my online portfolio. This was a great experience and I will continue to write and encourage others to read what I have to say or to even make an online portfolio for them.

Technology World: Retrieved December 1, 2011 from Google Images:
http://www-computer.org/computer-technology. Copyright 2011 by admin
Technology is an integral part of modern society and continues to expand to extreme heights. Technology is used in every day life and is used in order to better our world and discover new things. I have researched many diseases and nutrition based discoveries. Technology is very useful in gathering new information and hearing what others have discovered or new information that has been found. My goal is to become a Registered Dietitian and technology has allowed other dietitians to communicate with each other and obtain all the new and useful information that is needed in order to better there patients and give them the best treatment that they need.  Dietitians use technology as a way to educate people all over the world in order to give them healthy tips to improve their eating habits or inform people with specific diseases of the effects certain foods may have on them. Technology enables news to be presented in a way that is easy accessible for people to gather as well as advertise the importance in specific foods that has been found in them. Dietitians use technology on a daily basis and the facts that they find in research are displayed by technology in a way that most people are capable of acquiring.

Throughout the semester I commented on some of my fellow students blog posts regarding what we have learned in our ALES 204 class. Lots of the posts I read were very insightful and informative with very strongly based opinions on specific topics. Here are some of my classmates blogs I commented on. Take a look!

Kelsey Rolof
Avishta Seeras
Cam Parsons
Ninfa Garay
Brianna Cheng

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the value of an online portfolio. Prior to this class I had never considered creating one, rather I did my absolute best to keep information regarding myself off the internet. In knowing employers search potential employees names, it is important to be mindful of what we post whether we have a portfolio or just use some basic sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlea-Rae,

    Thanks for the awesome blog! I hope you keep it up.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete